Sunday, April 25, 2010

Homecoming… so this is a dog





I’ve spent my entire life in the hospital. Think about that. Can you imagine spending every moment of your life confined to a place most people will avoid at all costs? I’m busting out of this joint.

First step was checking out of the hospital and making sure I belonged to my mom and dad. I guess my mop of black locks threw the nurses for a loop and they’re questioning if it’s legit.

Just kidding, more of a formality and they had to remove the security device from my ankle. That’s all together reassuring and sad at the same time. Sad that there is a need to wear an ankle alarm, but I guess comforting to know I won’t be stolen.

Up next was getting me dressed in my homecoming clothes. Problem is… mom and dad over-estimated my size a bit (probably by about a month). I didn’t fit into the Peapod outfit from Grandma and Grandpa Stach, nor was I going to be able to ride in a car seat while swaddled. They’ll learn, give ’em time.

Slipping into the car seat was like trying to nestle into Lily Tomlin’s “Edith Ann chair”. That too was a bit big. But they strapped me in and off we went for the most exciting adventure of my life – the car ride home.

I slept right through it. Doggone it, you guys have to wake me for the important things in life like this. It’s not like I get to ride in a car every day.

When we got home Grandma and Grandpa Stach (we’re working on nicknames for them… I’ll never be able to say all that) were there. Looks like they made dinner for mom and dad and I’m told they cleaned the house, but I don’t know any different. I know mom and dad were thankful.

You know who else was there? Aubrey… that’s my dog/sister. She welcomed me with a few licks on the feet and some sniffing that was definitely inside my personal space. Didn’t bother me and after a moment or two, she seemed disinterested also. Wait until I’m mobile and I start chasing her around and pulling her tail. We’ll get along great!

That night I tried to settle into my routine. I’m sleeping in a basinet right next to mom’s bed. Caught a few z’s early, but got really agitated around 12:30 a.m. Two hours later I settled down again. Mom and Dad couldn’t figure out why I was ticked. I was dry, fed and comfortable, but what they forgot to consider how badly the Brewers had played.

I rushed into this world on Thursday because I really wanted to see the end of that 20-0 Brewers win over the Pirates. I just missed that game, but was lucky enough to be alive for the Crew getting swept by the Cubs. Grrrrr… that’s what keeps me up at night.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog!! And I love how passionate Tyler is already about the Brewers... he's a good little man :)

    Excited to read more and keep up with your little dude-
    Hope you're all getting some sleep and enjoying life together!
    ~ Kristen Scheuerman

    ReplyDelete