Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rocky Mountain Cry

A trip to Colorado was next up on “Tyler’s Summer Tour”. The entire Herb family descended on Louisville, Colorado – just outside Boulder – to visit and stay with the Steffls.

Once again I handled the plane ride without any trouble. A little milk on the way up and a little nap on the way down. We had Nana and Papa Herb in the row in front of us, so I got to bounce back and forth between them and Mom and Dad.

Among other things, this marked my first chance to meet Aunt Carrie, Uncle Andrew and my cousins Emma and Ryan. The Dixons flew in from Harrisburg as well, giving us 13 people total. It was a lot of fun, but a bit loud too. More on that in a bit.

Among the things we did in Colorado… hiking in the foothills of the Rockies (I rode the Bjorn), celebrated Emma’s July 4th birthday (man, I wanted that ice cream cake), watched an Independence Day parade (again, from the Bjorn), swam in two different pools (starting to like this water thing), a BBQ and lots of playing with the cousins.

There was a cold bug running through the family while we were out there and Daddy caught it bad. He was down for the count for over a day. I managed to stay healthy thanks to teacher Mom and her robo-immune system. She’s pumping me full of germ-fighting goodness.

A few of the others got the bug to and it made for some cranky and tired times for everyone. I think anytime you have that many people in one spot, including five kids four and under, you’re bound to have noise, chaos and tears (lots of lessons in sharing being learned).

Everybody else was crying so much, that it just seemed like the thing to do and I joined in. I’m usually pretty mild-mannered, but I wasn’t going to be the only one not wailing. I look up to those older kids. They’re so cool. Thus, crying is cool.

Mom and Dad disagree.

It seemed for a moment that I might have made a breakthrough while in Colorado because I slept through the night TWICE! For me that meant only like seven hours (11 p.m. until 6 a.m.), but that was a first.

It was a fleeting achievement, however. After two days of sleeping well I had a rough night on the third. C’est la vie.

Great trip though and great to spend so much quality time with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment